Monday, February 14, 2011

INDEPENDENT MP'S TO QUIT OFFICES

MEMBERS of Parliament affected by the Constitutional Court ruling have expressed willingness to vacate their offices if Parliament kicks them out.

Most of the MPs interviewed by New Vision yesterday said they were waiting for official communication from the Speaker of Parliament, Edward Ssekandi.

“I am yet to be informed. Let them write and tell me that I am illegally in Parliament. I will pack my things and vacate,” Tress Buchanayindi, one of the affected MPs, said.

Fisheries state minister Fred Mukisa said he had not been in Parliament since he was nominated as an independent. “I only go there as an ex-official minister, he said.

“Some of us suspected that this could happen. I left Parliament long time ago. I only went there once when I was invited for the kings Bill debate,” he said.

Asked whether he officially resigned his seat as the law requires and no longer received salary from Parliament, Mukisa said: “ For salary, I do not know. I have to check my account.”

Ojok B’leo, who switched from being an independent to FDC, yesterday said he had not got any communication relating to the court verdict.

He, however, said he participated in the writing of the Constitution and that there was a lacuna in it because it did not provide for a transition period from one party to another.

“This ruling was unfair. However, I have to abide by the ruling of the Supreme Court. I will pick my belongings from Parliament and go to my village,” he said.
Loi Kiryapawo and Silver Bahane said the Speaker should communicate and guide them. “We shall act accordingly. We shall do whatever the Speaker tells us,” Kiryapawo said.

Lands minister Omara Atubo said he would act after receiving a letter from the Speaker. “I cannot refuse court orders. The Speaker has to write to us and then we act accordingly. Right now I am busy working on my re-election,” Atubo said.

The Constitutional Court early this month ruled that it was illegal for independent MPs to stand for elections on any party ticket and also for political party MPs to contest as independents without first resigning.

The ruling is contained in a Constitutional Court judgement in a case filed by George Owor against the Attorney General and William Okecho, the NRM flag-bearer for the West Budama North constituency.

The court ruled that any independent MP should have vacated their seat before being nominated to contest on a political party ticket.

Okecho and the Attorney General, however, petitioned the Supreme Court to stay the execution of the Constitutional Court ruling.

The court ruled in their favour but agreed that the MPs were in Parliament illegally.

Some MPs, however, argued that they were not required to vacate office since the Supreme Court halted the execution of the Constitutional Court orders.

MP Charles Ekemu and Stephen Kaliba insisted that the status quo remains until the Supreme Court rules on the matter.

“The court suspended all directives to the Electoral Commission and Parliament. We are continuing with the elections until court decides our fate,” Ekemu said.

No comments:

Post a Comment